May 14, 2011

Another reason to love Mike Rowe

Absolutely love him and the show Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel, but this makes me love him even more.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/mike-rowe-senate-testimony.html

I come from a long line of skilled trades people and I could not agree more with everything he said. My mother is a textile worker, working for companies and waiting daily for someone to tell her that it's time to stand in the unemployment line because her job has once again been sent overseas for cheaper labor. My dad was a mechanic by trade, but he knew how to do a lot more than just fix cars and trucks. My brother has become a skilled tradesman by default, learning how to fix cars with my dad, working in a car factory, and delivering food to demanding hungry people.

I have aunts and uncles, cousins, and friends that all do some form of skilled labor. And almost every one of them are underpaid and under-appreciated for the awesomeness that they do.

Not everyone can land a spiffy office job, make millions in the entertainment industry, or even just happen to create something that will change the world. But absolutely everyone depends on someone who has the knowledge to fix something broken, unblock something clogged, or create something necessary for continuing to be comfortable in a modernized world.

This makes me want to go do something nice for my mom and brother, just because I can. Don't you have someone similar in your life that you can do the same for? Make it your goal this week to appreciate those who make your life more livable because of the awesome skills they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment